Saturday, July 13, 2013

Liebster Award Nomination

I am soo excited that Sara of Dare to Be Different- Teach nominated me for a Liebster Award!  So much fun!


To accept the nomination there are a few things I have to do:
1.  Link back to the blog that nominated me
2.  Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers
3. Answer the questions posted by my nominator
4.  Share 11 random facts about myself
5.  Create 11 questions for my nominees
6.  Contact my nominees to let them know I nominated them

I am choosing to nominate the following blogs that I have recently started following:

Mrs. Johnson's Little Prowlers
Down the Hall in Third
Thinking in Third
Life, Love, Literacy
Write in the Middle
Third Grade And Lovin It

Questions I was asked:
1.  What is your favorite subject to teach?
Reading!  I love teaching math but reading my favorite!  I love when it clicks and you can see the excitement and love of reading.  The book talks and conversations are so much fun and I feel that is when I get to know my kids the most.  And you can integrate so many things into reading.

2.  Do you collect anything & what?
I don't collect anything on purpose but a few years ago when I had an intern (students teacher), we realized that I have a ridiculous amount of scissors.  Like over 5 pairs.  And I have no idea where/how I got them.

3.  Do/Have you played am instrument?
I played the clarinet in middle school.  I wasn't very good.

4.  What is the last book you read?
It's sad how long it took me to think about this.  Last year I started a lot of books that I didn't finish because they didn't "hook" me.  The last book I finished reading was Another Piece of My Heart by Jane Green.   I'm about to start Gone Girl,  I've heard it is a great book.

5.  What is your favorite genre of music?
Top 40/Pop.  Love Dave Matthews Band, Maroon 5, Coldplay, Justin Timberlake.  Current favorite song is Blurred Lines.  I love music that makes me want to sing and/or dance.

6.  Why did you become a teacher?
In high school I got an after school job working at a daycare center.  I enjoyed it and decided I wanted to be a teacher.  My grandmother was a teacher and principal. :)

7.  What do you think about year-round school?
Mixed feelings.  I can see pros and cons.  I usually work over the summer to keep somewhat busy and to earn a little extra.  It 's also much easier to take classes over the summer than during the school year when we are already so busy.  And I love having a summer.  But I do wonder if it would be better to do year-round since so many kids don't read, write, and practice math over the summer.

8.  Do you consider yourself organized?
Yes and No.  I am very organized when it comes to planning and doing work.  My files and desk are a mess.  And it drives me crazy but I never have them time to go through them and organize.  It would take weeks.

9.  Are you a sweet or salty snacker?
Salty.  I like a crunch when I snack.

10.  What is your favorite season of the year?
Fall.  MD can be so hot & humid that I love when the humidity is gone and there is a chill in the air.  The newness of the school year.   I love the smells, crunching leaves, pumpkin spice lattes, apple picking.  And the excitement for the Holidays.  And I like my fall/winter clothes better.   Spring is a close second since it starts warming up after the cold of winter and it means the end of the school year is nearing.

11.  What is your favorite candle scent?
Yankee-Candle Gingerbread.

Random Facts All about ME!

  • I want to live in Hawaii or Ireland.
  • I rescued a dog who is afraid of most people, has horrible allergies and just started prozac.  He is truly a mess but I love him.
  • I am a gluten-free pesctarian...a "vegetarian" who eats seafood.
  • I have not taught the same thing for more than 3 years in a row.  I like to change things up, helps me grow as a teacher.
  • I love Thanksgiving because it means Black Friday Shopping!  I could care less about the food.
  • I don't read as much as I should.  I used to read all the time and now I hardly ever pick up a book during the school year.
  • I am the only one in my family who was not born in the MD/DC area.
  • I would love to spend summers at the beach.
  • I am a huge Ravens fan.  The superbowl was a big deal in my classroom this year. :) 
  • I ran the Baltimore Half-Marathon twice.  I do not particularly like running but I did it.
  • I watch way too many reality shows...after a long day, I like watching shows that you don't need to focus too much.


Now my questions for my nominees:

  1.  What is the best thing about being a teacher?
  2. If you could choose to any two consecutive months as "summer" break, which months would you choose?
  3. What is your favorite vacation spot?
  4. What is your favorite beverage?
  5. What was the last song you listened to?
  6. What is your favorite tv show?
  7. Mac or PC?
  8. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
  9. What is your favorite meal to eat?
  10. What is your favorite grade to teach?
  11. What are you reading this summer?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for nominating me! I loved reading your responses! My post is up on my blog! :)

    Lindsey
    Mrs. Johnson's Little Prowlers

    ReplyDelete